Bede House has been helping local people for over 80 years to improve life for themselves, their families and the community in the London Borough of Southwark.
Bede is an Equal Opportunities employer, registered charity 303199
We currently have no vacancies.
Starfish: Support for people affected by Domestic Violence
Volunteer Counsellor Placement
We are currently offering counselling placements for counselling/psychotherapy trainees wanting to specialise in Domestic Abuse, within an innovative service which works from a Holistic approach. It is essential that you have a qualification or be working towards a qualification in counselling / psychotherapy and be in the 2nd year of a diploma with a BACP/ UKCP framework. An understanding of working with trauma and excellent communication skills are essential. Ideally we would want the candidate to commit to a placement of at least 6 months.
About Bede Starfish Project
The Bede Starfish Project works with people affected by Domestic Violence. Our aim is to help build communities where everyone can be free from fear of violence, no matter who they are or where they come from. We offer advice and support to help female and male clients take action and rebuild their lives. Based in Southwark, we work across the whole borough to help people from all backgrounds build their confidence and be free from abuse.
• At Bede we follow the ethical framework of the BACP. The counsellor should follow these guidelines
• At Bede we work within a Person-centred therapeutic approach
• Each client has a caseworker attached to them and the role of counsellor and caseworker is clearly defined.
• To ensure the safety of clients and the integrity of our work, it is vital that the counsellor and caseworker role is not blurred.
• The counsellor will be expected to help clients manage their emotional wellbeing. Any practical matters that arise should be directed to the allocated worker.
• The counsellor should be able to build a therapeutic relationship with clients and set aims within 6-12 week blocks of one hour counselling sessions
• The counsellor should keep clear records of clients’ attendance and relevant case notes of the sessions
• The counsellor should raise any safeguarding concerns to the onsite supervisor and the Bede Starfish manager
Qualifications and Skills
• Qualified or working towards a qualification in counselling/psychotherapy with at least 150 supervised client hours within the BACP/ UKCP framework
• Knowledge of Domestic Abuse
• Excellent communication skills
• Excellent listening skills
• To be non-judgemental and impartial
•To be honest, reliable and committed
• 2 client hours per week (this is negotiable)
• Fortnightly 1 hr clinical supervision
• Weekly supervision with project manager
• Induction to Bede
• Training on essential procedures and safeguarding
If you would like to discuss any aspects of the application please call 0207237 9162 or email: email@example.com
To apply, download an Application Form
Learning Disabilities Project
We are looking for volunteers to help with our allotment, wildlife and art groups. Mondays – Fridays between 9.30 and 3.30pm.
You can choose your day(s) and whether you do a morning or afternoon session.
We can offer supervision and the opportunity to attend training courses. We will reimburse your fares and you can have a free lunch if you volunteer all day.
Contact: Theresa Jones on 020 7237 8930 – firstname.lastname@example.org
Youth Adventure Project
Sharing skills with young people e.g. IT, media, sports, music etc. Most evenings 6pm-9pm.
Contact: Fokrul Meah on 020 7231 6027
Occasional volunteering for various projects e.g. to co-ordinate an archive of old photos, to help with community events, e.g Fun days, London Marathon and various small jobs
Contact: Gwen Green on 020 7237 3881