Every year Bede benefits over 2,000 people through our many projects and activities. These take place throughout Bermondsey, Rotherhithe and other parts of Southwark. Our work is delivered through four programmes designed to
- alleviate the effects of poverty
- increase education and employment prospects
- reduce isolation and create fresh purpose
- improve health and wellbeing
- care for our environment
Some of our local neighbourhoods are among the most deprived in the country. Government reports show over 44% of children growing up in poverty. We work hard to reach those who need our support the most. Bede’s flexible “local and personalised” approach is very effective in helping people overcome hardships. We aim to see them achieve their potential as active citizens in the community.
Our many different projects and activities directly benefit 1,000 individuals, including 600 children and young people. We estimate that another 1,000 people indirectly benefit, for example as relatives or carers of those who attend Bede. Our regular events welcome many members of our community and our outreach services connect many more. When not busy with our own regular programmes, Bede Centre hosts other local groups.
Each year, Bede supports over 100 adults who have learning disabilities. We help more than 150 women and men end domestic abuse. Over 150 young people join in our school holiday programmes and youth clubs.
Children and Teenagers
Bede is particularly focused on the wellbeing of children and young people. Our work includes:
- a range of adventurous clubs and camps for those aged 8 to 19.
- support for those with learning disabilities, including many young individuals.
- our programme to end domestic abuse. This supports many women with children at risk of being taken into care.
Bede brings our Southwark community together. Our highly valued volunteers expand their horizons and play key roles as good neighbours. Some 70 currently share their skills and enthusiasm with those who need them most.