Volunteer Counsellor Placement
We are currently offering placements for counselling/psychotherapy trainees wanting to specialise in domestic abuse. If you have (or are working towards) a qualification in counselling/psychotherapy we would be pleased to hear from you. Alternatively, you may be in the second year of a diploma with a BACP/UKCP framework.
We would expect you to have an understanding of working with trauma and excellent communication skills. Finally, we would ideally want you to commit to a placement of at least six months.
About Bede Starfish Project
The Bede Starfish Project works with people affected by domestic violence. We aim to build communities where everyone can be free from fear, no matter who they are. Our innovative service benefits from a one-to-one, holistic approach. We offer advice and support to enable both female and male clients to take action and rebuild their lives. Based in Southwark, we work across the whole borough to help people from all backgrounds grow their confidence and be free from abuse.
At Bede we work within the ethical framework of the BACP, following these guidelines:
- We take a person-centred, therapeutic approach.
- In addition to the counsellor, we assign a caseworker to each client, with the two distinct roles clearly defined.
- To ensure the safety of clients and the integrity of our work, we keep the roles of counsellor and caseworker completely separate.
- is expected to help clients manage their emotional wellbeing. The caseworker handles all practical matters.
- should be able to build a therapeutic relationship with clients and set aims within 6-12 week blocks of one-hour counselling sessions.
- must keep clear records of clients’ attendance and case notes.
- should raise any safeguarding concerns with the onsite supervisor and the Bede Starfish manager.
Qualifications and Skills
- Qualified or working towards a qualification in counselling/psychotherapy with at least 150 supervised client hours within the BACP/ UKCP framework
- Knowledge of domestic abuse
- Excellent communication and listening skills
- Non-judgemental and impartial
- Honest, reliable and committed
- Two client hours per week (this is negotiable)
- Fortnightly one-hour clinical supervision
- Weekly supervision with project manager
- Induction to Bede: Ending Domestic Abuse
- Training on essential procedures and safeguarding
All clients are seen during working hours. As the majority of our clients have children, these timings are not negotiable.
If you would like to discuss any aspects of the application please call 0207237 9162 or email: email@example.com
To apply, download an Application Form